(Meredith) - A California girl died after she was electrocuted while swimming in her father's backyard pool, according to authorities.

The tragic incident happened Sunday at a home in Citrus Heights, about 20 miles northeast of Sacramento. 

McKenzie Kinley, 9, was swimming with four other children when a wire attached to an underwater pool light electrocuted her, Sacramento Metro Fire officials said. The light fixture was being repaired, KCRA reported.

Medics tried to revive McKenzie at the scene. She was later taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The other children were not harmed.

McKenzie Kinley

McKenzie's father described her as "the most gentle little girl."

"All she wanted to do was make everyone happy,” he told KCRA.  

Her mother, Elizabeth Moore, said McKenzie brightened her life. 

“Nothing was hard with her because she found a way to make it better," Moore said.

A GoFundMe page has raised more than $15,000 to the help the family cover McKenzie's funeral expenses.

Information from KCRA via CNN Newsource contributed to this story.

Copyright 2019 Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.