Sheriff: County executive locked himself in building while TBI served warrant

The Cannon County courthouse (WSMV file)

Cannon County Executive Mike Gannon locked himself inside the county courthouse while the TBI attempted to serve a search warrant to him, according to the county sheriff.

Gannon has been the subject of a News 4 I-Team investigation that exposed he had knowledge of anonymous, threatening letters being sent to female critics and is accused of using his influence to get his relative a job.

Sheriff Darrell Young, along with an additional source, confirmed that in mid-August, a TBI agent arrived at the Cannon County courthouse to serve a search warrant on Gannon.

When the agent arrived, during normal business hours in the afternoon, he found the courthouse locked with Gannon inside, according to Young.

At that point, the TBI had to call the sheriff.

“They needed to see Mr. Gannon and asked me could I unlock the door for them,” Young said.

Chief investigative reporter Jeremy Finley asked if it was strange that the doors were locked.

“Yes. And it (the time the agent arrived) not being 4:00," Young said.

"I understand that Mr. Gannon had locked the doors and would not come to the door. Is that correct?" Finley asked.

“That's what I understand,” Young said. "I called Mr. Gannon and told him the TBI was outside needing to talk to him. I told them they were outside wanting to talk to him. Go ahead and let them in."

Dave Rader, Gannon’s attorney, told the I-Team, “Mr. Gannon looks forward to responding to the allegations at the appropriate time. He’s sorry that he can’t comment on the TBI investigation at this time.”

Neither Rader, Young nor the TBI would comment on the subject of the search warrant.

The details of the delivery of the warrant come following a fiery commissioner meeting on Saturday in which citizens called for Gannon to resign.

Gannon is both the county executive and the chairman of the county commission.

At the meeting, the county commission was tasked with either appointing Gannon to the chairman position or give it to another nominated candidate.

The vote was split evenly, 4-4, and Gannon said the county attorney had advised him that if no candidate received six votes, then the current chairman kept the role for the time being.

The county attorney confirmed what Gannon claimed was accurate.

After the meeting, several citizens called for Gannon to resign, including Jan Powell, who received one of the anonymous threatening letters.

“On behalf of myself, and the citizens of this county and taxpayers, I ask you to step down,” Powell said.

Gannon made no comment and continued on with the meeting.

Copyright 2017 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Chief Investigative Reporter

Jeremy Finley is the News4 I-Team's Chief Investigative Reporter. He has won multiple Midsouth Emmy and Edward R. Murrow Awards.

Recommended for you