NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) - A man and woman, both in their 20s, overdosed last week on fentanyl-laced marijuana, according to Winchester police.
Police said if it hadn’t been for the life-saving drug Narcan, the two would likely be dead.
“It is something people should be paying attention to,” said Metro Nashville Health Department spokesman Brian Todd.
Todd said Nashville hasn’t had in any cases yet, but they are worried and wanted to get the word out since two music festivals are just days away.
People will be traveling to Middle Tennessee from around the country to attend the CMA Fest this week and Bonnaroo in Manchester next week.
“I think, especially when you’re talking about Bonnaroo, or something more broad, you know in Tennessee, or really Middle Tennessee, that can involve several counties. That’s something the state health department would be sending out,” said Todd.
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has seen fentanyl in heroin, meth and prescription pills, but not marijuana.
People need to be aware that marijuana, once considered non-lethal, now has the potential to kill.
“This is something that is a lot more serious,” said Todd. “You want to be aware that may be something much more dangerous than just smoking marijuana.”
Winchester police told News4 they’re doing everything they can to track down the bad batch of marijuana, but so far have not been successful.