Photographs and video of scattered trash, liquids on the floor and a food preparer not wearing a glove at the Lakeview Grill at Nashville Shores prompted the Metro Public Health Department to inspect Monday.
DeeDee Whitehead took the photos and video on June 30 and brought them to the News4 I-Team.
“I couldn't believe it. I could not believe it,” Whitehead said.
The News4 I-Team shared the photographs with health inspectors, prompting the re-inspection.
Whitehead took her daughter and a friend to Nashville Shores on June 30 and said when she approached to order, she said was stunned at the amount of trash, debris, liquids on the floor and the disarray in the cooler.
“The pictures speak for themselves,” Whitehead said.
Whitehead said she noticed one of the food preparers only wearing one glove and handling the food, so she started recording.
The video shows the worker not wearing a glove, but it’s unclear if she was touching the food.
Whitehead said she begged her daughter and her friend not to eat the food, but the children were hungry and there was no other option to eat.
Whitehead said she asked for a manager, but none were around.
Whitehead then returned the next day, finding the grill in better shape but still with too much trash.
She then contacted management, who she said apologized and promised to improve the situation.
“I told him, I have a moral obligation to the community to make sure this gets cleaned up,” Whitehead said.
Daniel Strobel, director of marketing for Nashville Shores, declined our request for an interview but did send a statement, reading in part, "This was an isolated situation in one of our food stands on an extremely busy Saturday and is not indicative of what you will see at Nashville Shores. We have already made corrective measures to ensure that it does not fall below our standards again."
Hugh Atkins, director of Environmental Health Services for Metro Public Health, said the pictures did look bad and requested that an inspector go to review operations at the grill.
Atkins said while the trash was not acceptable, they found nothing that indicated that a foodborne illness could come as a result of the conditions the day the photos were taken.
A review of the re-inspection report showed the grill was clean and free of trash and that workers in food preparation were observed wearing gloves.
The News4 I-Team pulled the most recent inspections of the grill, and found in both cases they scored in the 90s.
?Copyright 2018 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.