NASHVILLE (WSMV) - Metro Police officer John Anderson was killed in a fiery crash early Thursday morning on the Fourth of July.

Now, his fellow officers are remembering him as someone who loved his job. 

Police told News4 Anderson leaves behind an 18-month-old son and photos show just how much Anderson loved and cared for him. Anderson is also a graduate of Western Kentucky University and served in the United States Marine Corps. 

Officer Richard Conger graduated from the police academy with Anderson in 2015. Their careers went separate ways, but Conger was able to speak to Anderson's friends throughout the morning.

"I spoke with one of his coworkers today and he told me that he was just talking about how his son was growing up so fast," Officer Conger said. "He enjoyed spending time with him and now of course today his life was tragically taken."

Anderson was a proud member of the department's Drill and Ceremony team. He also had a passion for hockey. 

Officer Anderson also received the MNPD's Lifesaving Award in 2017 and 2018, as well as the Department Commendation Award in 2019. 

In 2017, at 1:30 a.m. one morning Officer Anderson responded to a fight/stabbing call near 3rd Avenue and Broadway. He saw three people who were injured and saw one individual with a deep stab wound to his back, with lots of blood pouring out. Officer Anderson minimized the blood loss until medics arrived; the victim survived.

Multiple agencies send condolences to Metro Police in death of Ofc. John Anderson

In 2018, a suicidal man in emotional distress was standing outside the railing of the Shelby Street pedestrian bridge. The man leaned forward toward the river, barely hanging onto the rail. That's when Officer Anderson and Officer Darien Spann, without regard to their own safety, grabbed the man and successfully pulled him to safety.

In 2019, Officer Anderson and several other officers were wrapping up their overnight shifts when they responded to a strange call at the Tiger Market on Shelby Avenue. A robbery was reported, but once they arrived on scene business appeared to be normal. They continued investigating and found a clerk hiding in a cooler in the back on the store. 

Ofc. John Anderson joins list of 40 other Metro Officers who died in line of duty

The clerk told them two men were in the officer and one was armed with a handgun; she hid after calling 911. Both men barricaded themselves in the office and the officers quickly cleared the store. After a standoff which lasted several hours, both suspects eventually surrendered. is now with you on the go! Get the latest news updates and video, 4WARN weather forecast, weather radar, special investigative reports, sports headlines and much more from News4 Nashville.

>> Click/tap here to download our free mobile app. <<

Copyright 2019 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.