Jotez Anderson

Police said 27-year-old Jotez Anderson remains at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after being shot by two officers on Wednesday morning

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) - Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Agents are conducting an independent investigation into an officer-involved shooting in North Nashville on Wednesday morning. 

Police said 27-year-old Jotez Anderson remains at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after being shot by two officers on Wednesday morning

The shooting happened after Metro Police officers were 2100 block of 18th Avenue North around 5:45 a.m.

Suspect in custody after shooting in North Nashville

Police were called by Anderson's ex-girlfriend following a dispute between her and his current girlfriend. The ex-girlfriend told police the current girlfriend pulled a firearm on her. 

When North Precinct Field Training Officer Joshua Green and his partner, Officer David Harms arrived, Green said they spotted Anderson "running toward him from the rear of the duplex with pistol in hand."

Officer David Harms

Officer David Harms 

North Precinct Field Training Officer Joshua Green

North Precinct Field Training Officer Joshua Green 

Green, who is the five year veteran with the Metro Police Department, said he yelled at Anderson "to drop the pistol." However, Green said Anderson did not comply and he fired at him. 

Police said Anderson kept running and Harms, who graduated from the academy in February, "yelled for him to drop the pistol."

Police said Anderson did not drop the firearm and pointed the gun toward Harms, who fired. 

Anderson ran into the duplex and then exited through a window, according to police. Police said he "ran to a property next door and hid behind a car."

“This is not what you might typically see in a domestic violence incident. This had three people involved. They knew they had to sort everything out,” Metro Nashville Police Spokesperson Don Aaron said. “But, I don't think they expected to see a man coming at them with gun in hand and pointing that gun in their direction.”

Eyewitnesses told police that officers "yelled for Anderson to drop his gun. "

Officers called to the scene found Anderson and located "a wound between the thumb and index finger on his right hand."

After providing him with first aid, police said Anderson walked to an ambulance and was transported to Vanderbilt.

Police said it is unclear which officer shot Anderson's hand. 

Suspect in custody after shooting reported in North Nashville

The weapon was located in a bathroom inside the duplex, police said.  

During the TBI investigation, Green and Harms are on routine administrative assignment. 

Anderson was sentenced to 16 years for attempted first-degree murder, police said. He was charged in connection with shooting of a teenager and the separate armed robbery of a man in a McDonald’s parking lot in 2010.

Police said federal authorities are investigating Anderson "in regard to possessing the gun as a convicted felon."

Anderson is wanted for a domestic assault involving a woman not associated with Wednesday's events, police said. 

The Metropolitan Nashville Community Oversight said its members have been informed about the shooting, which they said is the third in less than a month.

Members of the Metropolitan Nashville Community Oversight went to the shooting scene and said they "were not briefed or even acknowledged by" the Metro Police Department.

Members of the Metropolitan Nashville Community Oversight called on Mayor John Cooper and Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson "to commit to ensuring that these processes are transparent, and that information is released as it becomes available.'

As Chair of the COB, I am calling on the leadership of this city, specifically Mayor Cooper and Chief Anderson, to lead by ordering their team and personnel to adhere to the terms of the current MOU, and as a Board we are prepared to take any and all legal action to ensure that the safety and well-being of the Nashville community is served to the fullest,” Board Chair Ashlee Davis said in a statement on Wednesday.

Davis called for Cooper to reconvene the MOU Negotiation Taskforce "to address the issues that have become apparent."

“This is unacceptable, and I ask that Mayor Cooper issue a public announcement directing Chief Anderson and all MNPD to follow the guidelines of the MOU that we have agreed upon,” Davis said. “Anything less would lack the required tone and direction to ensure a positive change.” 

Wednesday evening, MNPD sent News4 a statement where they take exception to what the COB said. MNPD Office of Professional Accountability Director Kathy Morante, an attorney and former prosecutor, was on the scene of the officer-involved shooting on 18th Avenue N. and offered the following statement:

I received information at approximately 6:05 this morning about an officer-involved shooting in North Nashville. I met Detective Ron Carter at the OPA office and we drove to the scene together. When we arrived, Community Oversight Board Executive Director Jill Fitcheard, Assistant Director Clausi and an investigator were present. Detective Carter, who is a sworn law enforcement officer, immediately proceeded to the scene of the shooting. I stayed behind the tape, in the same area as the members of the COB.  I have read the account from the COB staff, and I am perplexed as to what they mean when they claim that we were “welcomed“ by members of the MNPD. I did speak with several of the officers and other personnel who were standing in the area or passing by. We exchanged pleasantries, as I knew some of them from other cases, or from the law classes I teach at the Academy.  However, I did not receive any sort of briefing from anyone on the scene and never crossed the crime scene tape. 

While at the scene and waiting for the investigation to be completed, I exchanged various pleasantries with Director Fitcheard and Assistant Director Clausi while we were waiting. When I first spoke with them I shared the very limited information I had at that time. They indicated that was all they knew as well. Later, I informed them that I’d been told the officers involved in the shooting were doing a walk through with detectives.  On several occasions, Mr. Clausi asked questions like who various people were, and I gave him names whenever I knew them. 

A few minutes before 9 a.m., Director Fitcheard and the others from the COB left. Ms. Fitcheard said they had been there for over two hours and it was a waste of their time. Within a few minutes after they left, Captain Jason Starling {Commander of Criminal Investigations} approached me and asked where the folks from the COB had gone. I explained that they just left. He informed me that he was there to brief them as to the shooting incident.  After Captain Starling walked back to the shooting scene, I called Assistant Director Clausi and informed him that Captain Starling wanted to give the COB a briefing. His response was that he would call Director Fitcheard to discuss.  This was at 9:00 a. m.  At 9:07, Mr. Clausi returned my call and said that the Director did not want to return to the scene, but wondered if the briefing could be done by phone. I said I didn’t see why that would be a problem. I got Captain Starling’s cell phone number and gave it to Mr. Clausi.  

I did not receive a briefing as to the facts of the shooting until my investigator, Ron Carter, came to speak with me at approximately 9:15.   Despite the implication in the statement released by the COB, I did not enter the scene of the shooting and, in fact, stayed in the same area as the members of the COB who were present. Further, I did not receive any briefing until after 9:15. If Director Fitcheard and her staff had not chosen to leave, they would have received a briefing from Captain Starling. Further, I took the extra step of contacting the Assistant Director to be sure he was aware that a briefing was available.  Apparently, it was not worth the effort by the Director and Assistant Director to return to the scene. I did give them a cell number for a telephone briefing. I do not know if they chose to contact Captain Starling.

MNPD tells News4 at around 11:32 a.m. Lieutenant Pat Taylor from the Criminal Investigations Division contacted the Emergency Communications Center to request a COB representative to be notified that Lt. Taylor was ready to conduct a walk-though of the scene for COB staff.  

Lt. Taylor did not receive a response from COB staff and again radioed the Emergency Communications Center, giving them his cellphone number and telling them to relay it to the COB. 

At 12:17 p.m. Lt. Taylor radioed the Emergency Communications Center again to ask the dispatcher if they had gotten a response from COB staff. He was told no. 

MNPD say it has not heard from COB staff as of 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. 

The Memorandum of Understanding between the MNPD and COB in regard to crime scene access is below:

While Board personnel will not be granted immediate access to any secured investigative perimeter maintained or controlled by the Department, once the scene is stabilized and secured and access to the scene will not compromise a criminal investigation, and to the extent legally permissible, the lead investigator may grant Board personnel access and escort them into the perimeter of the scene.

Board personnel will not remove, alter, handle or disturb any evidence or object at the scene.  Photographs will be permitted.  The Board is expected to acknowledge that any case details, information, existence of evidence, photographs, or other details will be maintained as confidential as may be required by the Tennessee Rules of Criminal Procedure or state law. 

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.