George Wells, Jr.

George Wells, Jr. 

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) - Metro Police still don't know what kind of a gun a TSU student is accused of shooting his friend with, a Tuesday court hearing revealed.

George Wells Jr. appeared before a Davidson County judge Tuesday morning facing a reckless homicide charge in the shooting death of Rickey Scott III.

A Metro Police detective and Scott's roommate testified the three believed the gun used was a pellet gun.

"He stated that he really believed it was a pellet that hit Rickey, and he thought that Rickey was going to be OK," Detective Christopher Dickerson recalled his second interview with Wells after the incident.

During the first interview, the detective said he denied knowledge of a firearm at all.

After the testimony, Judge Rachel Bell found probable cause in evidence presented by the prosecution to send the case against Wells to the grand jury.

Clarence Smith, Scott's roommate, is the only other witness to the shooting. He said the gun was in Wells' hands when it went off.

Another student, unaffiliated with the other three men, testified to hearing a bang in the dormitory hallway around 10:30 in the morning on Oct. 13.

"We all thought it was an airsoft gun," Smith testified, who described the sound it made as more of a 'poof' when it went off.  "Rickey fell to the ground, and we tried to see if he was good. He got up after like two minutes, and laid down in his bed."

Smith said Scott stole the gun from a group of girls' house the night before. The other men also stole a PlayStation and a watch.

After Scott was shot, Smith said he was insisted he was OK. He testified to only observing a red dot on his abdomen, no puncture wound.

It wasn't until Scott collapsed on his way back from the bathroom that they realized he was seriously hurt. 

"That's when George poured some water on his face. He was trying to make sure he [was] alright and stuff," Smith said.

Wells told the RA to call 911.

Dickerson testified it did not initially go out as a trauma call.

It wasn't until Scott got X-rays at the hospital, that medics found a bullet in his abdomen. Scott was pronounced dead at the hospital after surgery.

According to Dickerson, Scott told a medic he also believed it was a pellet gun.

A ballistics test on the bullet fragments found in Scott's abdomen will determine the type of gun used.

Dickerson said Smith told him in an interview that he saw Wells put the gun in a backpack and seemingly dispose of it in an alley.

On Tuesday, Smith testified he didn't see the gun again after it went off.

Dickerson said police never found a firearm in the aforementioned alley. is now with you on the go! Get the latest news updates and video, 4WARN weather forecast, weather radar, special investigative reports, sports headlines and much more from News4 Nashville.

>> Click/tap here to download our free mobile app. <<

Copyright 2019 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.