Every student injured in a chemical fire at Merrol Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is expected to be released from the hospital Wednesday night.
The fire was caused by some type of chemical experiment inside a science lab for high school students. Officials said they do not believe what happened was intentional.
It appears the students were holding different salts over a bunsen burner to demonstrate how flames change different colors depending on the elements.
Principal Darren Frank confirmed that eight high school students and one science teacher were injured.
News4 has learned four of the victims were taken to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and several others were transported to TriStar Hendersonville Medical Center.
Hendersonville Fire Chief Scotty Bush said all of the injured should be released from the hospitals soon, if not already, at a 4 p.m. news conference.
"I don’t know if you can ever prevent things from happening 100 percent. Accidents occur. That’s why they are called accidents," said Bush.
Bush said the most serious injuries are second-degree burns to the arms and face.
“Just knowing they are going to be okay is the best news you can get from the situation," said student Lyric Tubert.
The entire building was evacuated as a precautionary measure. Fans are running throughout the building to help circulate the air. Officials said early test results of the air quality levels are good, but they're not taking any chances.
Elementary, middle and high school students were evacuated and dismissed. The school is expected to reopen Thursday at the scheduled time.
Copyright 2018 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.