Propane leak likely caused house explosion in Maury County, officials say
“What the homeowner did exactly right: upon discovering the smell he turned off the propane at the tank, opened a garage door, front door, and two windows.”
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - A Maury County home was damaged after an explosion Sunday night that was likely caused by a propane leak, according to the fire department.
Fire crews responded to calls of an explosion with no fire at a home on Trousdale Lane. Units arrived to find drywall damage on all three levels of the house.
MCFD believes a propane leak during a remodel is the likely cause of the explosion.
“What the homeowner did exactly right: upon discovering the smell he turned off the propane at the tank, opened a garage door, front door, and two windows. These actions prevented a much bigger event from occurring in allowing the pressure to escape through the openings,” MCFD said.
WSMV caught up with the homeowner Monday evening and he told us that he was still shaken from the explosion and expressed a sense of gratitude to be alive.
As he continues to process the blast, MCFD hopes that others can learn from this near-tragedy.
“I think it’s a lesson that we can all take, if you smell natural gas, if you smell propane In your home, get out as quickly as possible,” a spokesperson said.
Copyright 2023 WSMV. All rights reserved.