Smoke detector saves Robertson County family during house fire
Three people were in the home at the time of the fire.
GREENBRIER, Tenn. (WSMV) - A fire destroyed a home in Greenbrier early Friday morning, according to Robertson County Emergency Management Agency.
Fire crews were called to a home just after 1 a.m. in the 2700 block of North Mt. Pleasant Road near the intersection of Hall Road.
For several minutes Flames filled the night sky, sparking panic and concern for neighbors.
“It’s just one of those things you don’t know what to do, you wanted to help them,” a neighbor said.
While some looked on, the family managed to escape with minutes to spare after officials say their smoke alarm sounded waking them up as one of their relatives was outside.
“As soon as they went outside, it let some smoke in and it actually set off the smoke alarms awoke the residents in the house and was able to get them out safely,” Blake Pierce of Robinson County EMA told WSMV.
Most of the home was lost to the fire and is considered a total loss. Nearly 20 Firefighters responded to the blaze. They managed to save save two rooms. It’s believed that the fire may have started on the porch and spread to other portions of the home.
Hours after the fire, investigators were seen canvassing the property for evidence. Our crew on scene noticed that the roof appeared to be sunken, windows busted and several charred items scattered across the property.
As their investigation continues, they’re encouraging everyone to invest in working smoke detectors.
“Just make sure you have constantly tested your smoke detectors at least once a month. You have to realize a family just lost everything they own, potentially. They could have lost a loved one or pet,” Pierce said.
Out of three adults that were in the home, one person had to be reared for smoke inhalation. As a result of what took place, they have been put in contact with the American Red Cross.
Copyright 2023 WSMV. All rights reserved.