Teen charged after shootout leaves another teen dead, 4 injured in Columbia

Police said a large altercation between eight people on Beech Street eventually led to the exchange of gunfire.
WSMV4's Brendan Tierney reports.
Published: May. 23, 2023 at 10:59 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - One teenager is dead, and four others were injured after a shootout in Columbia on Monday night, according to the Columbia Police Department.

Police said officers responded to reports of a shooting on Beech Street at about 6 p.m. As officers responded to the scene, multiple people were taken to local hospitals with gunshot wounds.

Nineteen-year-old Thomas Jack Keiser suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at Maury Regional Medical Center, police said. Another 19-year-old was flown to Vanderbilt Medical Center in critical condition, while three other people were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Columbia Police say a large fight happened on Beech Street between eight people who all knew each other. The fight led to the exchange of gunfire.

June Coleman lives on the street and said her grandchildren went running for safety as soon as they saw someone pull out a gun. She at first thought the gunshots were fireworks, but knew something bigger was happening when a teen ran down the road screaming they had been hit by a bullet.

“It is very concerning because I have my grandkids a lot of the time,” Coleman said. “They stay here and play outside. There are other people that have kids. It’s just not safe for them to be out when you have people coming from somewhere else bringing their troubles.”

I’Yauntis Jamel Miller, 19, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder and aggravated assault resulting in death, CPD said. Miller is currently being held at the Maury County Jail without bond.

The investigation remains ongoing, and more arrests could be made. Police are asking for anyone with information that could help in this investigation to contact the Columbia Police Department.