Homicide suspect injured in shootout with U.S. Marshals; F.B.I. investigating

Published: Aug. 12, 2022 at 5:44 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - Metro Police and Unites States Marshals were at the scene of a shooting in the Napier Area early Friday morning.

Stacey Johnson said her 11-year-old daughter woke up to gunfire.

“She went up to use the bathroom and heard quite a few gunshots,” Johnson said.

According to police, U.S. Marshals were serving a warrant for 31-year-old Michael Clay at an apartment complex on University Court. Clay fired at the marshals inside the apartment, they returned fire and Clay was hit. The incident was called in at about 4:30 a.m.

“I don’t know him,” Johnson said.

“Officers entered the residence and learned that Clay was upstairs and armed with an AR-style rifle. Attempts were made to have Clay come downstairs,” a U.S. Justice Department media release says. “Instead of coming downstairs, however, Clay pointed the rifle down the stairs in the direction of officers. Officers then heard a ‘click’ followed by the sound of racking ammunition into the rifle’s chamber. Clay then fired several times at the officers and the officer’s exchanged gunfire, wounding Clay.”

Clay is wanted for the April 1 murder of Tywane Miller, who was shot and killed outside of a 7-Eleven store in East Nashville. Clay went on to carjack a man on I-40 after fleeing the 7-Eleven parking lot. Miller’s female friend was also shot by Clay that day but recovered from her injuries.

“I think it is horrifying,” resident Tahra Jones said. “I saw it taped off, and everybody was standing around.”

Johnson said it was a scary start to her and her daughter’s day.

“We made sure someone was with her when she got on the bus,” Johnson said. “We made sure she had an adult with her.”

Following Friday morning’s shooting, officers were observed removing a naked Clay from the complex with gunshot wounds. He was transported to Vanderbilt Medical Center for treatment.

A large Metro Police presence, along with U.S. Marshals remained at the scene. The investigation has now been turned over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Clay remains in the hospital but faces a slew of charges in addition to criminal homicide, including assaulting a federal officer, aggravated assault, aggravated robbery-carjacking and parole violation.

Copyright 2022 WSMV. All rights reserved.