Protect pets from the sounds of the Fourth of July - WSMV News 4

Protect pets from the sounds of the Fourth of July

Posted: Updated:
Keep pets protected from the sounds of fireworks on July 4.(WSMV) Keep pets protected from the sounds of fireworks on July 4.(WSMV)

As you get ready to celebrate the Fourth of July, remember that your pets don’t always enjoy the fireworks. Metro Animal Care and Control said this is its busiest time of year for stray and lost animals.

Workers said they see dogs and cats slip out of their collars and run away from their owners the most during the July 4th weekend due to the sounds of fireworks. They suggest keeping your pets in a secure place where they can’t get out and make sure they are tagged or microchipped.

Animal control said there will be extra workers ready for Wednesday.

“We have trucks out on the road actively patrolling that way we have a quicker response. We can get to those animals quicker if they’re running loose so that they’re not hit by a car or something bad happens to them,” said Sue Baker, the Metro Animal Care and Control field supervisor.

Baker also suggests closing your curtains or blinds and turning on some music or the TV to drown out the noise.

And if you’re planning to shoot off your own fireworks this Independence Day, Nashville area doctors said they see more young children and teenagers come into their emergency room with fireworks-related injuries than adults.

The injuries aren’t just burns, but also include blindness and possible amputation. Vanderbilt University Medical Center treats more burn patients around this time of year. Doctors said children should not handle any fireworks, including sparklers.

“I think the fireworks that caused injuries that surprise people the most are sparklers. People, I think, think of sparklers as a pretty benign firework, they let their kids have them, but they burn at over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit,” said Dr. Callie Thompson, a trauma and burn surgeon at Vanderbilt.

Thompson said they also see injuries from bottle rockets due to people not following directions and holding them in their hands. If you do get burned, surgeons suggest using room temperature water on the burn and seeking help.

Copyright 2018 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.