GreKo's HORIATIKI or Village Salad
The Perfect Side Salad for Any Meal: Easy to Prepare, Healthy & Delicious
Ingredients for 4 servings:
3 Medium-sized tomatoes (heirloom variety or summer tomatoes, when available, fresh from the Farmers Market)
2 English Cucumbers
1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onions
1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives (whole, pitted olives)
1 1/2 TBSP Dried Oregano
Salt & Pepper
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
Block of Feta Cheese
- Chop each tomato into 6 or 8 slices (wedges)
- Slice each cucumber in half and then slice each half
- Finely chop green onions, about 1/4 cup
- Next, place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the Kalamata olives, 1 TBSP of oregano and fold these ingredients together, adding the olive oil first and then the red wine vinegar.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- After the ingredients are folded together and the oil and vinegar are mixed, portion and place into four salad bowls.
- Next, slice four, 1/4 inch slices of feta cheese and place each slice on top of each portion.
- Use the remaining 1/2 TBSP of oregano and distribute a small portion on top of each slice of feta.
- Finish by drizzling a little olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar on top of each slice of feta.
Serve & enjoy!