Maitake Mushroom Porridge
A perfect holiday dish! It's a savory porridge with Maitake mushrooms, winter greens and egg yolk
Yields: About 1 quart
Onion, Small Dice 1/4 large onion
Oats 4 oz.
White Wine 1/2 cup
Bay Leaf 1
Thyme Sprigs 2
Milk 10 oz.
Chicken Stock 10 oz.
Method of Production for Porridge:
1. Sweat onion with the thyme and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Cover pot in plastic wrap to achieve a proper sweat.
2. Add in the oats and stir to combine.
3. Deglaze the pan and mixture with white wine. Reduce the white wine until it is almost dry then add in the milk and chicken stock.
4. Cook until oats are soft and the mixture is nicely creamed.
Maitake Mushrooms 1 lb.
olive oil 1 Tablespoon
salt pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes ½ teaspoon
Frilly mustard greens (or other winter green) 1 bunch
Method of Production for Mushrooms:
1. Cut base of mushrooms and break apart
2. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
3. Roast at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until tender
Put porridge in a bowl, add nest of mustard greens on top. Add your hot roasted mushrooms on top of the greens and any liquid from roasting drizzled around the bowl. Garnish with raw egg yolk and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.