Officials share tips to keep home safe from electrical fire - WSMV News 4

Officials share tips to keep home safe from electrical fire

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Officials say nearly 10 percent of fires are started by misusing electrical cords.

According to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, electrical equipment accounted for 9.51 percent of all structure fires and 14.38 percent of all fire deaths in Tennessee from 2012 to 2016.

The department shared several tips to keep your home safe:

  • Check electrical cords often and don’t use them if they’re cracked or damaged.
  • Appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, not an extension cord.
  • Extension cords are for temporary use only.
  • Replace electrical tools if they cause electrical shocks, overheat, short out, or give off smoke or sparks.
  • Replace wall outlets if plugs do not fit snugly.
  • Only use surge protectors or power strips with internal overload protection and with the label of a recognized testing lab.
  • Avoid putting cords under rugs.
  • Electrical work should be done only by a licensed electrician.

Copyright 2017 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.