Metro police, TBI spar over shooting investigation - WSMV News 4

Metro police, TBI spar over shooting investigation

Posted: Updated:
TBI agents showed up to the shooting investigation scene on Tuesday morning. (WSMV) TBI agents showed up to the shooting investigation scene on Tuesday morning. (WSMV)

Metro police say an Antioch man was shot by officers after holding his family hostage and firing shots at police.

There was some confusion at the shooting scene Tuesday morning when a group of TBI agents and supervisors showed up, expecting to take over the investigation.

But when they arrived, Metro police refused to turn the investigation over.

Now there are questions about a new policy and why the TBI's help was requested in the first place.

The argument over which agency should lead the investigation when a Metro officer shoots someone has been going on for months.

The public is getting conflicting statements from both agencies and the district attorney's office about Tuesday morning's shooting.

It started with a tweet from the TBI that said District Attorney General Glenn Funk requested the TBI to send investigators to the scene about two and a half hours after the shooting.

Metro Nashville Police Department spokesperson Don Aaron described what happened next.

"There was a TBI supervisor here. He was shown the MOU and there was some conversation back and forth with the TBI folks, and our investigation has continued," Aaron said.

The MOU is a memorandum of understanding signed by Funk, TBI Director Mark Gwyn and Police Chief Steve Anderson just last month that says the TBI will investigate any time a Metro officer shoots someone and that person dies.

The subject in this case, Michel Guirguis, was shot several times and was critically wounded by the officers.

"The initial report was that he was wounded and appeared to be in non-life-threatening condition when he left here," Aaron said.

That statement directly conflicts with a statement from the district attorney, whose lead investigator was at the shooting scene and spoke with Metro police officials.

"We were told that it was unclear whether Mr. Guirguis would survive. Based on that information, Glenn called Mayor Barry and discussed with her the option of calling the TBI, which he did," Aaron said.

Even the mayor's spokesperson confirmed to Channel 4 there was the possibility of a fatality, and she concurred with the DA's decision to call in the TBI. Even still, Metro police officials contend this is their investigation.

"It sounds like there was confusion on the scene here today, and we all know how critical the first moments are," said Channel 4 reporter Kevin Trager to Aaron.

"The Nashville police department wasn't confused," Aaron said.

So what happens the next time a Metro officer uses deadly force and there's a potential fatality?

The memorandum of understanding says the TBI will step in when there is a fatality but securing the scene and gathering evidence in the minutes and hours after a shooting are crucial to every investigation.

As for Tuesday's shooting, the TBI says they are no longer involved and it will be up to Metro police to determine if their own officers followed procedures.

Copyright 2017 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.