Sweet Potato, Bacon and Pecan Salad with Saffron Honey Vinaigrette
Courtesy of City Winery Executive Chef Garrett Pittler | Nashville, Tennessee
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 6)
FOR THE SWEET POTATO SALAD:
· 4 thick-cut bacon slices
· 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
· 1 cup celery leaves
· ½ cup pecans
· 2 sprigs tarragon, leaves picked
· 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
FOR THE DRESSING:
· 1 shallot, minced
· 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 2 ½ tablespoons honey
· 10 threads saffron, bloomed in 2 tablespoon water
· 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
· 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring a large bot of salted water to a boil, then add the sweet potatoes. Simmer just until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes depending upon the size of your potato chunks. Drain, gently and quickly rinse with cold water, then set aside.
2. Cook the bacon by preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil, then place an ovenproof baking rack on top. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on the baking rack, then bake until crisp, about 15 minutes depending upon the thickness of your bacon. Remove from the baking rack to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool, then crumble into a large bowl. Add the celery leaves, pecans, tarragon, and green onions.
3. Prepare the mustard dressing: In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the shallot, mustard, garlic, vinegar, honey, saffron, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Add the sweet potatoes to the bowl with the bacon, drizzle with the dressing, then toss gently to combine. Taste and season with additional salt/pepper as desired. Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature.