Fort Campbell soldier calls 911 before his death - WSMV News 4

Fort Campbell soldier calls 911 before his death

Posted: Updated:
There are strange circumstances surrounding the death of Austin McGeough. (WSMV) There are strange circumstances surrounding the death of Austin McGeough. (WSMV)

Fort Campbell soldier Austin McGeough managed to call 911 early Saturday morning before he died under strange circumstances.

"It feels like they want to kidnap me. I'll tell you I'm not insane. They just want to kidnap me," McGeough said to a dispatcher.

"Help me, help me, help me please," he added.

But McGeough couldn't seem to tell Cheatham County dispatchers where he was.

"Do you know where I'm at now or no?" McGeough asked.

"No sir," said the dispatcher.

"Oh my [expletive] God," McGeough said.

Police said McGeough was at Pleasant View Nursery and Florist. After allegedly breaking in and ransacking the business, police said McGeough left his phone and wallet behind.

"Produce was thrown everywhere, pictures were broken," said Wendy Young, a friend of the store owner.

Deputies believe McGeough may have been attacked by wasps when he entered the store.

"When he reached into that window in the back of that nursery, he put his hand directly into a wasp nest, about three inches in diameter, full of wasps," said Jeff Landiss, a Cheatham County investigator.

Landiss said McGeough was likely disoriented and scared. Landiss said he drank pure grain alcohol earlier that evening and snorted Percocet.

"Lots of times with that concoction of the alcohol and Percocets, you're going to get someone that's panicking and frantic," Landiss said.

McGeough left the store and tried to flag someone down on Highway 41A. He ended up getting run over at least three times while dispatchers were pinging his phone trying to find him.

"Let me get you some help," the dispatcher said.

"No, just have a good night, OK," McGeough replied.

"OK, well you called 911 and you sounded genuinely scared," the dispatcher said.

"No, I'm fine now. I found everyone. I'm fine now. Have a good night," McGeough said.

McGeough was run over at least two more times after he was first hit. Investigators said those drivers are not in trouble but they would like to speak them. This happened at around 4 a.m. on Saturday.

McGeough was from Connecticut. He's been a soldier at Fort Campbell since October 2015. He was charged with public intoxication earlier this year.

Friends said he was planning to propose to his girlfriend soon.  

Copyright 2016 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.