Women's field hockey semifinal recap - WSMV News 4

Women's field hockey semifinal recap

Posted: Updated:

Great Britain Moves to Gold Medal Match

Great Britain earned a 3-0 win over New Zealand behind two goals from Alex Danson, securing its spot in the gold medal match.

The game stayed even through the first quarter, with both teams having opportunities to get on the board.

Great Britain was the first to capitalize. Danson scored on a rebounded penalty corner shot to give her team the 1-0 lead at halftime.

The third quarter remained scoreless. Team GB suffered a couple of injuries, and New Zealand kept up the attack on offense.

As time wound down in the third, the Black Sticks had a huge opportunity when Great Britain goalkeeper Maddie Hinch came out of the cage to challenge the shot. The ball slid past her, but the Great Britain defense came up with a key clear out of the circle to prevent the even score.

Both sides were feeling the pressure with the score so close and a full quarter left to play.

Great Britain had a breakaway chance when Helen Richardson-Walsh got the ball. New Zealand team captain Kayla Whitelock’s play to prevent the goal was too aggressive, and Richardson-Walsh earned the penalty stroke.

She nailed it to put Great Britain up 2-0 early in the fourth quarter.

Team GB earned a second penalty stroke after Lily Owsley had a path to the cage. Owsley went down, and Danson took the shot in her place. She converted to give Great Britain a commanding 3-0 lead with just under nine minutes to go in the game.

New Zealand could not find a way to come back from the lead Great Britain built up. They will play in the bronze medal match against Germany.

Great Britain, the defending bronze medalist, is already guaranteed a better finish than they had in London. They will take on the two-time defending gold medalist Netherlands on Friday.

Dutch Win in Dramatic Shootout vs. Germany

Ellen Hoog sent the Netherlands to the gold medal match scoring the game-winning goal in a 4-3 sudden death shootout win over Germany. 

After ending leveled at 1-1, it came down to a penalty shootout. Both teams started out with makes, but things looked shaky for the Dutch who missed their next two goals in a row.

Germany missed three in a row to follow, which put the shootout into sudden death mode. Both teams put one into the cage, sending it into yet another sudden death round.

After Joyce Sombroek made the stop on a Germany shot, in came Hoog, who had missed her first attempt in the shootout. She drilled it, which sealed her team’s shot at a third consecutive gold medal.

Germany proved to be the biggest test the Netherlands had faced in the tournament thus far.

The Germans went up on the Dutch in the first quarter after a goal from Lisa Schutze, but Dutch captain Maartje Paumen tied it up early in the second with a drag flick shot on a penalty corner attempt.

For the second half of play, the Netherlands pounded at the Germany defense. The Dutch dominated the possession clock, and thought they had a goal when Ellen Hoog sent one soaring into the cage. However, it would be too high and disallowed, keeping the score even at one goal.

Germany’s defense held strong to send the game into a penalty shootout, where Hoog and Sombroek brought in the victory for the Dutch.

For full results of Wednesday's games, click here.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.