Perfect Roast Tenderloin
1 - Whole Beef Tenderloin, trimmed - minimum 4 lbs.
Kosher Salt (or any coarse salt)
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1 - large Lemon, zest only (reserve lemon for another use)
4/5 - cloves Garlic, finely minced
2/3 - sprigs FRESH Rosemary, "leaves" removed and finely minced
1 - tsp. +/- Kosher Salt
1 - TBS. Olive Oil
For the Marinade:
1. Combine first three ingredients, top with salt & oil.
2. Briefly chop all the ingredients to combine, occasionally smashing into a paste using the back of your chef's knife.
3. Allow to stand for 15 minutes to one hour for flavors to combine.
For the Tenderloin:
Preheat oven to 500*
1. Remove Tenderloin from refrigerator and allow to stand at room temp for 1 - 2 hours.
2. Liberally coat meat on all sides with olive oil, salt & pepper. If using marinade, coat with olive oil, then marinade, then season with salt & pepper - using a little less due to marinade.
3. Place in preheated oven and roast until golden brown - approximately 10 minutes.
4. Reduce oven to 350* and cook for approximately 12 minutes per pound for rare, 15 per pound for medium rare. Remember the ends will always be more done than middle! Test doneness with meat thermometer - remove roast at 110* for rare, 115* for medium rare, 120 for medium. Temperature will continue to rise after removing from oven - approximately 10 - 15*
5. Remove from roasting pan and loosely "tent" with foil. Allow to stand for 30 minutes before slicing.
6. To serve: slice into individual slices at least ½" thick. Serve with desired sides - or perfect appetizer sandwiches with Yeast Rolls!