Classic Béchamel Sauce
1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups whole milk, plus 1/2 cup in reserve
1/8 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. or to taste kosher salt
1. Heat milk to scalding in medium saucepan – do not boil.
2. Meanwhile melt butter in medium saucepan, when butter has melted add flour and cook to light blond color.
3. Add hot milk, 1/2 cup at a time whisking to combine thoroughly between additions.
4. When all milk has been added sauce will be slightly thick, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add nutmeg, cayenne and salt and taste for seasoning, adding more salt as needed.
6. If sauce is to thick slowly add hot milk from 1/2 cup in reserve as needed.