"Mexican Shepherd's Pie"
· 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
· 1 onion, finely chopped
· garlic powder to taste
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
· 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
· 3/4 cup bottled salsa
· 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
· 2 (8.5 ounce) packages corn muffin mix
· 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
· 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilis
· 2 diced jalapeños (or 1 small can)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place the beef and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until beef is evenly brown and onion is tender. Drain grease. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes and green chilis, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and salsa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until thickened. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, and top evenly with a layer of corn kernels, followed by a layer of 1 cup cheese.
3. Prepare the corn muffin mix according to package directions. Add the other 1 cup cheese and diced jalapeño to mix. Spread evenly over the top of the baking dish.
4. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden. Garnish with avocados, green onions, sour cream, etc.
5. Let sit for another 20 minutes (this will allow the corn bread to cook through without burning the top.
6. Cut, serve and enjoy!