Green Beans with Mushrooms
Not your Mamma's casserole
1 lb. French green beans
¼ lb. mushrooms, sliced thin
1 Roma Tomato, seeded and cut julienne
1 Shallot, peeled and sliced
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes
Hard Cheese (such as parm or pecorino), finely grated
1. Briefly blanch green beans in heavily salted water to set color, remove to ice bath to stop cooking.
2. In a large sauté pan add oil to cover bottom.
3. Add mushrooms and cook until softened.
4. Add shallot, garlic and red pepper flakes to taste.
5. Add tomato and cook briefly.
6. Add green beans and cook until heated thru and desired crispness.
7. Serve immediately.
Optional - In a separate pan heat ½ cup heavy cream to scalding, add ¼ cup grated cheese (preferably parm) and combine until thickened. Pour over beans and toss to combine prior to serving.
Brussels sprouts, washed, peeled and halved.
Herbs, as desired
Bacon or Pancetta, crisped drippings reserved - optional
REALLY GOOD Balsamic vinegar - OR - vinaigrette
GOOD olive oil
Parmigiano Regiano Cheese, finely grated
Preheat oven to 425*
1. Line a large sheet pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a large bowl combine olive oil, herbs and bacon/pancetta drippings if using.
3. Season aggressively with salt.
4. Spread Brussels on sheet pan and place in preheated oven.
5. Roast until lightly brown and crispy.
6. Place Brussels in large serving bowl or platter, drizzle with Balsamic and dust with Parm.
7. Bon Appétit!