Chef Andre's Tart
2 - large russet potatoes - washed, peeled & sliced 1/8" thick
1 - bunch flat leaf parsley - washed, chopped coarse
2 - large eggs, hardboiled & sliced in ¼'s
½ cup - sour cream or crème fraiche
¼ lb. - bacon - cooked slightly crisp & chopped (6-8 pieces)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
1 - recipe Pâte Brisee (follows)
Preheat oven to 375*
1. Roll out 2/3 dough on floured surface to 1/8" thick, to fit 8" tart pan. Roll out extra dough to make top. Place dough in tart pan, reserving top.
2. In a large non-reactive bowl add potatoes, parsley and oil to coat, toss to combine.
3. Layer potatoes in pan, slightly overlapping to make 2 layers.
4. Top potatoes with bacon, egg & sour cream / crème fraiche.
5. Top with reserved dough, cut 3 or 4 "air vents" in top crust.
6. Bake in oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and potatoes are just cooked thru.
7. Bon Appétit!!
Makes 1 - 8" Tart, top & bottom
Must use scale!!
200 grams all purpose flour
100 grams unsalted butter, cold and cut in ½ inch cubes
1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. cold water
Pinch kosher salt
1. Combine flour & butter in bowl of food processor and pulse till consistency of "peas"
2. Add egg and pulse until mixture pulls away from sides of bowl and forms a ball.
3. Flatten into a disc shape about ½" thick and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 - 60 minutes.
Roll into desired shape on floured workspace.
2008 Jamie Watson based on recipe by Chef Andre Soltner