Chicken, Black Beans & Rice
Serves 4 - 6
1 - 1lb. bag Black beans, cooked as directed. Alternately you can use canned.
½ lb. +/- Chicken - thighs are best for this dish!
1 - Medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
½ - Red bell pepper, diced
½ - Green bell pepper, diced
2 - cloves Garlic, sliced thin
1 - stem Oregano, leaves removed and chopped fine
1 - bunch Italian (flat leaf) parsley, chopped coarse
½ cup baby carrots, sliced thin
10 ozs. "Mexican style" tomato sauce
1 - cup long grain white rice
1.5 - 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. In a medium saucepan bring stock to boil. Stir in rice, season with salt & return to boil. Cover pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes - undisturbed!
2. Place a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil to cover bottom, and oil starts to "shimmer".
3. Add all vegetables and ½ of the herbs. Cook until veg & herbs are "softened" - but not browned!
4. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
5. Gently add beans and tomato sauce to pan. Stir to combine thoroughly and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.
6. Add remaining herbs and stir to combine.
Place a "mound" of rice in the center of a large bowl. Spoon the bean mixture around the sides of rice, leaving rice exposed.
Optional: Sprinkle Queso Fresco over bean mixture.