Serves 4 to 6
2 lbs. Yukon gold or russet potatoes, washed and sliced in rounds 1/8" thick
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
6 large farm fresh eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2-cup extra virgin olive oil
3 TBS assorted fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary) chopped
1/4-cup fresh grated cheese - Manchego preferably or something sharp such as Cheddar
Crushed red pepper
Butter and extra virgin olive oil for pan
Preheat oven to broil
1. Place sliced potatoes in a large non-reactive bowl and coat liberally with good olive oil, season with salt and add half the mixed herbs.
2. Preheat a large ovenproof sauté pan over medium high heat; add potatoes and sauté until JUST light golden brown. Remove potatoes from pan and allow to cool at room temperature.
3. In a large non-reactive bowl combine the potatoes, eggs, remaining herbs, milk and 2 TBS olive oil and stir to combine thoroughly. Season with salt, and add crushed red pepper.
4. Preheat a large ovenproof sauté pan (the same one used earlier) and add egg/potato mixture.
5. Cook WITHOUT stirring until eggs are set on bottom and sides (bottom will be brown which is what we want).
6. Place pan in oven on second position down from broiler and cook until top is set and golden brown. Remove immediately.
7. Slide Tortilla onto cutting board (DON'T try to lift) and allow to cool for 3 - 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
8. Bon Appétit!