Pork & Beer
1 - 4-6 lb. bone in pork shoulder
3 - Sweet onions, sliced thin
4 - Large carrots, sliced ¼” “rounds”
6 - Cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 - Tbsp. A.P. flour
¼ Cup - apple cider vinegar
2 - 12 oz. beers – your choice, I use Stella
½ Cup - Chicken stock
3 TBS unsalted butter, plus 1 Tbsp. for finish
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350*
1. Preheat a large pan, ideally cast iron over medium high heat.
2. Season pork aggressively with salt, and black pepper if desired.
3. Add 1 TBS butter & olive oil to coat bottom of pan, when butter stops foaming add pork. Sear aggressively on all sides until golden brown.
4. Remove pork and set aside. Drain fat from pan & wipe clean with paper towel.
5. Add remaining butter to pan. When foaming subsides add vegetables and cook until just softened.
6. Sprinkle with flour, add vinegar and cook until completely reduced.
7. Add 1 bottle of the beer and place pork back in pan. Bring to a boil.
8. Add remaining beer and chicken stock to bring liquid to come ½ – ¾ up side of pork.
9. Cover with lid, reduce heat to simmer, place in oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 165*, approximately 2.5 hours.
10. Remove from oven; remove pork, and strain sauce into a saucepan over medium high heat. Cook until slightly reduced, add remaining 1 TBS butter and serve immediately.
11. Bon Appétit!