Recipe is for 1, duplicate as needed
6 oz. Beef Tenderloin, “Barrel Cut”
2 oz. Mushroom, finely chopped
1 tsp. Thyme, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp. shallot, finely minced
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Sheet Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farms is good choice)
1 large egg & 1 TBS. heavy cream, mixed thoroughly
Oil & Unsalted butter for pan
Preheat oven to 425*
1. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat, add butter and oil to cover bottom.
2. Season filet liberally with salt & pepper.
3. When butter stops foaming add filet to pan and sear briefly on all sides.
4. Remove from pan and allow to cool to room temp.
5. Wipe pan, add oil & butter, and then add mushrooms. Cook until water is absorbed, add garlic / shallot / thyme.
6. Cook until lightly brown. Remove from pan and allow to cool to room temp.
7. Lay puff pastry out flat. Place filet in center of pastry and top with mushroom. Fold pastry over filet and seal fold with egg mixture.
8. Place on sheet pan and into preheated oven.
9. Cook until golden brown, and filet is desired temperature, approximately 10 minutes for medium rare.
10. Serve immediately with sauce of choice. Béarnaise is good choice.
11. Bon Appétit!!
1/4 cup Champagne or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup good white wine
2 tablespoons minced shallots
3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
3 extra-large egg yolks*
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted