Classic Crème Br?lée
10 – egg yolks, whites reserved for future use
1 – cup granulated sugar
1 – quart heavy cream
1 – Vanilla bean, halved & scraped
Granulated sugar for brulée crust
Hot water, as needed
Preheat oven to 350*
1. Place heavy cream in large saucepan with vanilla over medium heat.
2. Place yolks in large non-reactive bowl (stainless steel or glass), add sugar and whisk until eggs are light yellow (think banana) and sugar is completely integrated.
3. Add cream mixture, a little at a time (no scrambled eggs here!) until fully combined,
4. Let mixture stand until “foam” subsides.
5. Place brulée mixture in ramekins, which are placed on a large rimmed sheet pan.
6. Fill ramekins almost to top edge. Add hot water to pan to come a little above ½ way on sides of ramekins.
7. Place in oven and bake, just until the custard is “set”, approximately 20 minutes.
8. Remove from sheet pan and allow coming to room temp, place in refrigerator until chilled.
9. Cover top of custard with granulated sugar, burn with brulée torch until just browned, and crust will make snappy sound when tapped with back of spoon.
10. Serve immediately, Bon appétit!!