Potato Leek Soup Serves 4 - 6 4 Medium russet potatoes peeled washed, cut in approximately 1” cube 2 large Leeks white part only washed and sliced very thin 1 medium onion peeled quartered and sliced very thin 1 clove garlic, sliced thin 1 sprig fresh thyme 1-liter +/- chicken stock (may use vegetable for vegetarian) 4 strips thick bacon, sliced in ¼ lardon Olive oil, for pan 3 TBS+/- unsalted butter ¼ pound +/- country ham, pan fried & sliced in strips, for garnish Grated Parmesan for garnish
- Preheat a large sauce pan / pot over medium heat. Add olive oil to coat bottom, then bacon. Cook until bacon is browned & crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on towels. Add leek / onion / garlic and cook until just softened – about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until slightly colored. Add chicken stock to cover by 1 – 2” – approximately 6 cups. Bring to a boil, add thyme & reduce heat. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, slowly puree the soup until you reach your desired consistency.
- Return bacon to pan. Adjust seasoning as needed with salt & if desired black pepper.
- Add butter, stir to combine. Top with country ham & parmesan, drizzle with olive oil & serve with good crusty bread.
- Bon Appétit!