Drought conditions loosen up - WSMV News 4

Drought conditions loosen up

Posted: Updated:
Current Drought Map in US Current Drought Map in US

With the monsoon nearly over, how has it helped the drought conditions in Arizona?

A couple weeks of heavy rain in August has helped the drought conditions, but not nearly as much as we would like to see. As of August 26th, the state is currently drought free in only 10% of its land.  This leaves 90% of Arizona seeing drought conditions and the worst drought area is north of Tucson to Phoenix over to the White Mountains. Below is a map showing the current drought map to last weeks drought condition.

Red indicates the severe drought areas, where yellow is just dry for this time of year.  Notice less coverage in red on current map

The heavy rains from tropical activity has helped the Yuma area out quite a bit and also the Phoenix region as well. But not much has changed in southeastern Arizona due to the heavy rain staying to our north and west.  We have seen typical rainfall which leaves the drought map stable from week to week.

But it is not just Arizona that is in a critical drought, other states have it a lot worse. California is currently experiencing one of the worst droughts ever. Over 50% of the land is in an exceptional drought. This is leaving lakes completely empty and causing cities to cut back on water for lawns and gardens. Nearly the whole west is seeing extremely dry conditions. Washington has had one of the worst fire seasons and many areas in the western states need yearly rainfall totals to ease the drought conditions. Below is the current drought map for the western states.


With a few weeks left of the monsoon we need some big rains to ease the drought even more. And with drier weather in the forecast things could get worse before they get better.


Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.