AZ schools superintendent outed as anonymous blogger - WSMV News 4

AZ schools superintendent outed as anonymous blogger

Posted: Updated:
Arizona Department of Education Superintendent John Huppenthal has been exposed as the author of a cache of anonymous blog comments written under the pseudonym "Thucydides." (Source: CBS 5 News) Arizona Department of Education Superintendent John Huppenthal has been exposed as the author of a cache of anonymous blog comments written under the pseudonym "Thucydides." (Source: CBS 5 News)
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

Attorney Bob Lord runs the website Blog For Arizona and he's the one who outed Huppenthal by tracing the IP address of "Thucydides" to a computer inside the state's Department of Education building.

"We even had one that came from Japan, when he was in Japan," Lord said with a chuckle.

Lord said Huppenthal was posting on blogs like Seeing Red, Democratic Diva and Sonoran Alliance.

"If it was a political site or an education-related site or any site that mentioned him, he was on there commenting," Lord said. "I have to believe he was our most frequent commenter by a long shot."

Lord said the posts were made at all times of the day.

CBS 5 News found four back-to-back posts starting at 4:31 a.m. one day to 6:15 a.m.

"There was one where he referred to poor people as lazy pigs," Lord said. "There was another where he referred to the Mexican-American studies program down in Tucson as the 'we hate whitey' program."

A handful of posts made comparisons to Hitler and the Nazis.

One here from Seeing Red:

"Hitler worked to eliminate the Jews. Margaret Sanger founder of Planned Parenthood was given the job of eliminating African-Americans. Hitler fed 6 million Jews into the ovens. Sanger has fed 16 million African-Americans into the abortion mills."

Hupenthal's staff furnished this statement to CBS 5 News on his behalf Wednesday night:

"I take my role as an American citizen seriously and public policy has been a passion of mine for my entire life. In recent years, I have chosen to participate in online blogs as a forum to advocate for and discuss issues related to economics, energy, criminal justice reform and in recent years, education.

"I have engaged in these debates under the moniker 'Falcon9' and 'Thucydides.' I chose this approach because I felt that any other would limit a free and open exchange. Anonymous discourse has been an established practice throughout U.S. history, including the development of the Federalist Papers, and has become even more prevalent since the advent of the internet.

"I strongly believe that no citizen should give up their right to free speech - sourced or anonymous - simply because of a position they hold. However, I take my position as an Arizona leader very seriously and I sincerely regret if my comments have offended anyone.

"I do need to say that context is everything.

"Philosophical political bias can inhibit unbiased understandings. Given this, I have three main points to make with regard to my online blogging.

"First, it is no accident I have been in the public policy arena for 30 years in elected office. I am a passionate advocate for furthering our understanding of public policies that affect our citizens. I care deeply about education, criminal justice, economics and policies that affect the general welfare of our society. Blogging is only one avenue of discourse that I've engaged in over my public career.

"Second, Why did I blog anonymously? I believe in rigorous public discourse, in furthering ideas and reforming ideologies that don't always work. I have engaged both sides of the ideological spectrum to think deeper about their positions. I recognized my position as an elected official would influence the dialog, and I was interested strictly in an exchange on issues and ideas. Anonymity has its value as our founding fathers believed when they developed the Federalist Papers. It is not a new concept, our history reflects that.

"Third, In fairness, my blog entries have been taken completely out of context, or perhaps, misunderstood. Why would I devote my life to uplifting the human condition if I truly believed the insinuations that are being derived from a few of my specific comments. I do not apologize for holding conservative values that I have fought for during my 30 years in public life. I do however, regret that the intent of my comments have been misconstrued."

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Recent HeadlinesMore>>

Murfreesboro groups spread messages of love ahead of planned white supremacy rally

Saturday, October 21 2017 11:01 PM EDT2017-10-22 03:01:05 GMT

One week from today, League of the South -- a white supremacy group -- plans a White Lives Matter rally in downtown Murfreesboro. Several counter protests are in the works. Local faith based groups and community organizers say they want to promote a positive message of love and inclusion.

Rep. Jim Cooper talks legislation to help DEA fight against opioids

Saturday, October 21 2017 10:50 PM EDT2017-10-22 02:50:24 GMT

Tennessee lawmaker speaks about his crusade to give law enforcement the power it needs in its fight against drugs. Congressman Jim Cooper is trying to right the wrong of legislation. The DEA claims prevents them from freezing, and red flagging large shipments of opioids.

Multiple people wounded during shooting at Edgehill Homes

Saturday, October 21 2017 9:23 PM EDT2017-10-22 01:23:05 GMT
    (WSMV)(WSMV)

Police responded to a shooting at the Edgehill Homes apartment complex near 12 Ave South around 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Four male teens were non-critically injured after exchanging gunfire with other individuals in a car. It is unknown at this time how many people were in the car, and if any were injured.

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Police: Son shoots, kills mom’s friend for flirting with imaginary girlfriend

Thursday, October 19 2017 12:49 PM EDT2017-10-19 16:49:32 GMT
    (Photo: Pasco County Sheriff's Office)(Photo: Pasco County Sheriff's Office)

New body cam footage has been released which shows the moments after a Florida man shot and killed his mother’s friend for flirting with his imaginary girlfriend.

More >>

Thong jeans are just the latest weird fashion trend

Friday, October 20 2017 11:27 PM EDT2017-10-21 03:27:11 GMT
    A model display creation of "thibaut" by Japanese designer Meiko Ban during the 2018 Spring/Summer Collection at the Tokyo Fashion Week in Tokyo, Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)A model display creation of "thibaut" by Japanese designer Meiko Ban during the 2018 Spring/Summer Collection at the Tokyo Fashion Week in Tokyo, Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

Thong jeans. (Theans? Jongs? Thonjeangs?) Whatever you decided to call them, they’re weird and the internet is going crazy.

More >>

Chicago freezer death was a 'sad' accident, police chief says

Saturday, October 21 2017 8:12 AM EDT2017-10-21 12:12:40 GMT

Authorities have closed the investigation into the death of a young Chicago woman whose body was found in a hotel's walk-in freezer, saying it was accidental and there was no reason to suspect foul play.

Powered by Frankly
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.