Get'tem While They're Hot Nacho Burgers
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and minced, or 1 small can of chopped jalapenos or 1 small can of chopped chiles for little or no heat
- 3 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Or you can simply use your favorite store bought salsa
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 pound shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup of white Queso dipping cheese
- Salt to taste (I use Greek Seasoning instead of salt and pepper)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
Vegetable oil, for brushing
Salt (I use Greek Seasoning instead of Salt and Pepper)
Freshly ground pepper
A few drops of liquid smoke
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted (or foccacia bread, sliced) Sliced pickled jalapeños (optional) and blue corn tortilla chips or black bean tortilla chips for topping
- MAKE THE SALSA In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt (I use Greek Seasoning).
- MAKE THE CHEESE SAUCE In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook over moderate heat for 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in the Jack cheese until melted, then stir in the pecorino; season with salt and pepper. Let cool until spreadable.
- MAKE THE BURGERS -Light a grill. Form the beef into 4 patties and brush with oil; season with salt and pepper (or Greek Seasoning), add in a few drops of liquid smoke while mixing. Grill over moderately high heat until browned outside and medium within, 4 minutes per side. You may also bake in the oven if you don't feel like being out in the heat. You will need to Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking pan with foil. Place baking rack inside pan. Place patties on baking rack and season both sides with salt and pepper (or Greek Seasoning). Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once. Let rest for a couple minutes before serving.
- Place the burgers on the buns, top with the cheese sauce, salsa, jalapeños (or chopped chiles if you don't like it hot) and chips, then serve…oh yum.