A Murfreesboro couple won't soon forget a fire that damaged their apartment or the firefighters who got them to safety. When flames spread through their third-floor unit Sunday night, rescuers knew the only way to go was up.
Just after 7 p.m., rescuers responded to The Wood at Greenland apartment complex.
The two residents ran to the patio but were not able to make it back through the apartment due to heavy smoke.
That's when crews from the Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department raised a ladder up to the third floor patio.
Meanwhile, Murfreesboro Fire Capt. Jamie Bigelow waded through the smoke into the burning building to direct the two where to go.
"Could probably see two feet, three feet in front of us," Bigelow said. "I ran into a wall once, but that's OK."
The fear was that the couple might jump. People can panic when fire is at their back and take the quick way down. But the ladder hooked onto the balcony, and the couple was safely guided down to safety. It was a perfectly executed team rescue.
"We live together, we train together, we have fun together and we work together, and it paid off last night," Bigelow said.
No one was injured, and the apartment complex is helping a total of 18 residents who are now displaced due to water damage.
Police say the fire appears to be the result of unattended cooking.
Copyright 2014WSMV(Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:39 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:39:10 GMT
(WMC) – Memphis police are the scene of a shooting where a woman was possibly shot in the head. This happened in the 900 block of East Raines Road, near Elvis Presley Boulevard on Tuesday morning. ThisMore >>
A Memphis mother of two was shot and killed by her estranged husband outside a Whitehaven day care center Tuesday morning. More >>