Families displaced by Nashville apartment fire - WSMV Channel 4

Families displaced by Nashville apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A Nashville firefighter was injured and several families were displaced by a two-alarm fire Tuesday afternoon at a north Nashville apartment complex.

The fire was reported just before 2 p.m. at the Pointe Breeze Apartments off Lemont Drive, near Ellington Parkway.

The fire was knocked down in about 20 minutes, but it caused heavy damage to 10 units.

One firefighter suffered minor steam burns to the side of his face, but he's expected to be OK.

The fire was started by an unattended candle, according to fire officials.

"I went to smother the flame, realized I was burning myself, tried to smother it again. That didn't do, and I saw the flames actually climb up the wall, so I called for my neighbor. She happened to be working on her computer and heard me yell out. I said, 'Call the fire department now! I can't get this flame out!'" said resident Carol Bray.

The woman burned the tips of her fingers trying to put the flames out. She tried to rescue her Bibles and pictures but had to leave when the flames got too hot.

A disaster relief crew from the American Red Cross is helping at least three families who were affected by the fire. The apartment management expects to have some vacant units they can move into.

A fire at the same apartment complex in November 2012 damaged eight units after a cigarette was tossed into on the porch of a first-floor unit.

Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.