Good Samaritan injured after helping seizure victim on I-65 - WSMV News 4

Good Samaritan injured after helping seizure victim on I-65

Posted: Updated:
(Franklin Police Department) (Franklin Police Department)
(Franklin Police Department) (Franklin Police Department)
(Franklin Police Department) (Franklin Police Department)
(Franklin Police Department) (Franklin Police Department)

A woman who was nearly killed Saturday night on Interstate 65 while trying to help a driver suffering a seizure is now on the mend.

According to Franklin Police, 19-year-old Tyler Payne had a seizure before striking the center wall near Cool Springs Boulevard.

Franklin business owner Ruth Wood, 45, jumped out of her own car and ran to his aid, but she was hurt when Payne began having a second seizure and his truck crashed into the back of a tractor trailer.

Wood was airlifted to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and Payne was taken by ambulance.

"The doctors have done an incredible job. Everything looks great. She's already had two surgeries, some pins in her leg and it's basically from the hip all the way down," said friend Paul Johnson.

Friends and neighbors are calling her a hero.

"Knowing Ruth, we know that this is something she would do. She's a kind person, and when she sees someone in need, she's the first who would go and help someone that needs help," said friend Jennifer Harshberger.

But the timing of the accident couldn't have been worse. Wood, a nutritionist with a knack for helping people, just opened a business called Pure Nutrition a couple months ago.

Still, the doors of her business are open thanks to the kindness of friends and colleagues.

"We know the more people we can get in the door, the better business will be, and then we're not asking for donations. We're asking is come use our products, check out what we do and have some fun," Johnson said.

In a show of solidarity, the owners of a sister store in Spring Hill have closed their doors to work at Woods' store in Franklin instead.

"It's nothing for us to drop our business and refer everybody to here. We're happy to do it," Harshberger said. "I hope the community will show so much support that she will not have to worry about her business while she's recovering."

Payne has since been released from the hospital, and it's not clear how long it could take Wood to recover.

She has another surgery scheduled for Tuesday.

Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.