Meth lab forces evacuations at Murfreesboro motel - WSMV Channel 4

Meth lab forces evacuations at Murfreesboro motel

Posted: Updated:

A 6-year-girl who has been getting ready to celebrate her birthday this Valentine's Day was instead taken to the hospital to be checked out for exposure to methamphetamine.

Corey Adcox, her finance, Thomas Spalding, and her young daughter were forced out of their motel room at the Knight's Inn on Church Street in Murfreesboro about 2:30 a.m. Friday.

The guests in the room next door had been cooking meth, according to police.

"They put not only my life, and fiance's life, in danger, but they endangered my daughter," Adcox said.

Adcox's daughter has had a challenging life. She suffers from hydrocephalus, or too much fluid on the brain.

"She's fought six long years, and beat all odds the doctors gave her to live to be this old," the mother said.

Instead of celebrating her birthday this Friday, the family had to grab whatever they could and leave the only home they know, a room at the motel.

"It angers me," Adcox said.

Murfreesboro police busted Jeffery St. John, 24, of Mt. Juliet, after allegedly finding him in possession of meth and drug paraphernalia when they stopped a car for a broken tail light.

Officers were then tipped off about a backpack left under a stairwell at the Knight's Inn with items used to make the drugs and discovered that St. John had been cooking meth in the bathroom of room 132.

"They deserve every bit of punishment that they can possibly get, including be buried under the jail," Adcox said.

Police said cooking meth in an enclosed area, even if it's the one-pot, shake-and-bake method, as this was, is extremely dangerous.

Two rooms of the motel are now quarantined.

"Not only are the chemicals hazardous and deadly, but the remnants are, and the process can result in catastrophic explosions," said Murfreesboro police spokesman Sgt. Kyle Evans.

Such was the case in 2010 when more than 50 people were forced out of their motel rooms after a meth explosion at the Regal Inn right across the street from the Knight's Inn.

Adcox said she had to trash all her food after Friday's incident and will probably have to do the same with their personal items since they were exposed.

The good news is they were examined at the hospital and didn't suffer any effects from meth exposure.

"This is supposed to be a happy day, and we have been up since 2:30," Adcox said.

Motel management was able to move the family to another room.

In an attempt to prevent the manufacturing of meth, members of the Tennessee Methamphetamine and Pharmaceutical Task Force are educating businesses about the ingredients used to make meth and how to watch out for people trying to buy them in large quantities.

The task force is also in favor of a bill moving through the state legislature that could limit the amount of pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in many types of cold medicines, Tennesseans can purchase in a 30-day period.

Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.