An historic Williamson County home was destroyed by a fire Wednesday morning.
Crews were called to the blaze off Old Natchez Trace in Franklin about 12:30 a.m., and family and friends could only watch as the once-grand 8,000 square foot Colonial home burned to the ground.
Many people in the community knew the home as the Fairmount Place on Old Natchez Trace.
"It's sort of been the patriarch over this whole valley for a long time, since about 1812," said neighbor Jon Morrissey.
Firefighters ran into issues because the chilly temperatures caused their water to freeze. Since there was no fire hydrant near the house, firefighters had to drive water back and fourth.
Firefighters believe the fire started in the walls, but they are unsure what caused it.
"With the balloon-frame construction, it is two-by-fours from the basement all the way to the attic. It's just a chimney effect. And that's what happened here. It went straight up the wall, straight into the attic. I don't want to say there is no controlling it, but it just gets a headwave from that point," said Capt. Terry Hood, with the Williamson County Rescue Squad.
A man and his dog got out of the home safely during the fire. The Covington family has owned the home since the 1960s, and this is only the latest loss in recent years.
The basement was flooded in 2010, and Mr. Covington passed away just last year.
But at least the memories haven't been lost.
"I got married in the front pasture. We lived here for 11 years. My kids playing, picking the tulips that would come up here and the daffodils," Morrissey said.
The family hasn't decided yet whether they will rebuild.
Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.