Four homes in the Christian and Montgomery county areas were burned by fires in less than 24 hours between Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning.
"So far we've lost everything," said Phevia Alexander, of Hopkinsville. "We got out with our lives, but that's about all we got out with."
Looking at a car buried under debris and furniture tossed out their window, Alexander and aunt Georgia Pepper said it was painful to see what was left of their Younglove Street home. Trying to stay warm during single-digit temperatures Tuesday morning, Alexander said something went wrong with the family's heater.
"My granddaughter woke up and the couch was on fire," said Pepper.
"She just screamed 'fire,'" Alexander continued. "My uncle ran up front and tried to put it out, but it just went up too fast. He told everyone to just grab the baby and get out of the house."
Meanwhile, Johnny Murphy, of Herndon, said his Wayne Hunt Road home caught fire Monday while the family tried to thaw their pipes with a space heater.
"It's cold, man," said Murphy. "It's people trying to stay warm. You've got to have water and heat. We saw some little spark. It caught on fire between the walls and burned it."
Crews are still searching for what started another fire on West 17th Street in Hopkinsville.
In nearby Montgomery County, a fire is under investigation at a Lylewood Road home where water from fire hoses is still frozen down the siding, porch steps and power lines.
Now trying to decide where to move her family next during a brutal winter, Alexander said she's still counting her blessings.
"We're alive," said Alexander. "Tomorrow's my auntie's birthday. She's blessed with her life on her birthday. We may have lost a lot of things, but we still have our lives. That's a blessing in itself."
Alexander added the Red Cross is giving her family a place to stay for a few nights. To help Alexander's family, you can contact them at 270-498-6265.
Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.