Woman dead, 2 injured in downtown Columbia house fire - WSMV Channel 4

UPDATE

Woman dead, 2 injured in downtown Columbia house fire

Posted: Updated:
COLUMBIA, TN (WSMV) -

One person was killed and two others were injured in a massive house fire in downtown Columbia on Thursday morning.

A mother died when the home erupted in flames on the 600 block of W. 4th Street, and her son and a family friend are at Vanderbilt University Medical Center fighting for their lives.

Firefighters say they found Nathan Johnson, who is in his 40s, in the front yard with burns to his face, side and back. He was airlifted to Vanderbilt.

His mother, Sandra Johnson, was killed in the fire. Firefighters found her body inside her bedroom. She was in her 60s.

A third person who lived in the home with the mother and son made it out. He was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

The family who lives next door was shocked to wake up and find the home ablaze.

"Flames was just all at the front door. Couldn't nobody come back in it or couldn't nobody come out of it," said Tammy Fields, a relative.

Columbia fire officials said the fire was accidental.

A press release issued on Friday said the fire originated from a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Family members say the Johnsons have other family members outside of Tennessee. Less than a week before Christmas, they'll be making several heartbreaking calls.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • UPDATEWoman dead, 2 injured in downtown Columbia house fireMore>>

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.