Mold forces Mount Pleasant fire department to pack up and move - WSMV Channel 4

Mold forces Mount Pleasant fire department to pack up and move

Posted: Updated: Dec 16, 2013 09:46 PM
Mount Pleasant Fire Chief Tim Smith Mount Pleasant Fire Chief Tim Smith
MOUNT PLEASANT, TN (WSMV) -

A growing mold problem has forced the city of Mount Pleasant to close its fire hall and move to a temporary building on the outskirts of town.

A wood manufacturer who went bankrupt allowed the fire department to move to a warehouse temporarily while the city deals with the mold at its downtown facility.

"An environmental specialist said it wasn't the bad mold, but it was a mold that was to be concerned with and it could get worse," said Fire Chief Tim Smith.

The situation is far from perfect. The temporary facility is located along a long, gravel road that is not ideal for fire trucks.

"This puts us at the north end of our coverage area. Where we were before, we were right at the center," Smith said. "It's changed our response time."

The city says even though fixing the fire hall could cost $100,000, it will get done.

"The money is going to be an issue, but we have to do it," said City Manager Michelle Williams.

It could be at least six months before the mold problem is fixed.

And mold has been an issue all over Maury County. Spring Hill and Columbia have also reported mold cases.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Mold forces Mount Pleasant fire department to pack up and moveMore>>

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.