Fire displaces Goodlettsville family on move-in day - WSMV Channel 4

Fire displaces Goodlettsville family on move-in day

Posted: Updated:
GOODLETTSVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A family who just moved into a Goodlettsville home will now be looking for a new place to live after a fire Friday night.

Investigators say it all began at the home in the 1100 block of Hitt Lane after the family built a fire in the fireplace.

One of the residents then walked outside and noticed heavy smoke and flames coming from the chimney.

Firefighters say the fire got into the attic, and since the home had been remodeled, it made the attack difficult for crews.

According to the fire captain on scene, the family had just moved into the home Friday.

The American Red Cross will help the family recover.

Firefighters say make sure your chimney is cleaned by a professional before putting it to use. They also say it's important to have working smoke alarms and to make sure you don't have any items close to space heaters before turning them on.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.