Talledega carbon monoxide poisoning stirs up painful memories - WSMV Channel 4

Talledega carbon monoxide poisoning stirs up painful memories of Clarksville incident

Posted: Updated:
CLARKSVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A weekend at the racetrack ended in tragedy for a Murfreesboro family.

A man died and his wife was critically injured when they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes while sleeping in their motor home.

This weekend's accident is hitting home for many because of what happened in Clarksville in 2011. Five people died from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping in a motor home at a charity event. That, in turn, led to legislation to prevent something like this from happening again.

Bill Langford, the executive director of Bikers Who Care, remembers that September day two years ago.

The bikers had collected toys for needy kids and spent the night camped out in Clarksville. Some were in RVs and campers.

"There were three members, a wife and a girlfriend who died in that trailer that morning. It was because a gas generator was too close to the trailer," Langford said.

The memories still haunt him, and the Talledega incident brought back painful memories.

"We just had our 32nd toy run some weeks ago in September. You think about it, we got a memorial set up out there," Langford said.

State Rep. Joe Pitts of Clarksville drafted legislation that became law in Tennessee last year.

"It says that if you rent an RV, a recreational vehicle, that the owner of the RV as well as the person renting it must make sure that there is a working carbon monoxide detector in the RV," Pitts said.

The new law may be too late for the five people who died on Sept. 18, 2011, but for Langford, it's a simple fix that saves lives.

"If you've got a travel trailer, a camper, make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working," he said.

The man who died this weekend from carbon monoxide fumes has been identified as Craig Morgan. His wife, Jamie, is being treated in an Alabama hospital.

Friends and relatives of the five people who died of carbon monoxide fumes in Clarksville are trying to get federal legislation patterned after Tennessee's law.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.