Great-grandson accused of killing 71-year-old Cedar Mill woman - WSMV News 4

Friends: Teen accused of killing great-grandmother was ‘a very cool dude’

Posted: Updated:
Micus Ward (left) and Jodah Cain. Micus Ward (left) and Jodah Cain.
Jacqueline Bell Jacqueline Bell
Jacqueline Bell's car, following I-84 police chase involving her great-grandson Jacqueline Bell's car, following I-84 police chase involving her great-grandson
Crime scene Crime scene

The great-grandson of a woman found dead in her Cedar Mill home Saturday is in police custody accused of killing the 71-year-old woman.

Deputies received a call to check on the welfare of Jacqueline Bell Saturday morning. She was found dead in her home on Northwest Lee Street from "homicidal violence," and investigators believe the crime occurred earlier that morning.

At 8:05 that same morning, an Oregon State Police trooper was notified about a reckless driver on Interstate 84 heading east near Milepost 251. A commercial truck driver reported a green car driving between the travel lanes and nearly rear-ending his trailer.

Troopers spotted a 2006 Lexus ES350 a few miles down the road and attempted a traffic stop. Police said the Lexus then hit speeds of 135 mph.

The car took Exit 273 and slowed down as it attempted to re-enter I-84. The trooper took advantage of the reduced speed and spun out the Lexus, pinning the driver's door closed.

The right front passenger, later identified as Micus Ward, 19, of Kansas City, tried to run, but was caught by another trooper a short time later.

The driver was unable to get out of the car and was taken into custody. He was identified as Jodah Cain, 17, the great-grandson of Bell. Investigators said he had been living with her in Cedar Mill.

The trooper contacted the Washington County Sheriff's Office to ask if Bell knew where her car was or who was driving it. That information was relayed to deputies just before they entered Bell's home.

Cain and Ward are accused of killing Bell and stealing her Lexus. Deputies believe the pair planned to drive to Kansas City, where they both recently lived.

The medical examiner's office confirmed Bell died from "blunt force trauma."

Cain spent his freshman year at Aloha High School, left the state for his sophomore year, and then returned to the area to attend Sunset High School for his junior year.

News of the arrest spread around campus, leaving many students stunned.

"I was really shocked to hear it. He was a very cool dude. I mean, he was very nice, he seemed very innocent. It was the last thing I would expect from him, honestly," said David Reichle, Cain's friend.

Cain was put in the custody of Washington County Juvenile Services. He made his preliminary appearance in juvenile court Monday. He was advised of his current charges, all related to the I-84 chase. He is charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle, attempt to elude, reckless driving and reckless endangering.

Cain is not yet facing charges connected to his great-grandmother's death. Prosecutors said if he is charged with murder, he will be charged as an adult.

According to the Union County Jail's website, Ward is behind bars there on the charges of criminal homicide and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. His bail is set at $10,000. Deputies said it's not clear when Ward will be transported back to Washington County.

The Washington County Major Crimes Team is working directly with OSP detectives to coordinate interviews and potential criminal charges.

A sheriff's spokesman said the case has "a lot of moving parts."

The Washington County Sheriff's Office is seeking the public's help in this case. Anyone with information is asked to call 503-846-2500.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.