1 medium eggplant
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded
1 yellow onion
1 yellow squash
1 16 oz. can of peeled whole tomatoes
5 cloves of garlic smashed
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 or 5 fresh basil leaves torn
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces.
2. In a medium soup pot over medium heat sauté onions in olive oil till translucent.
3. Add garlic and continue cooking till garlic is just starting to brown.
4. Add vegetables to pot in order of cooking time. Potatoes, peppers, eggplant,zucchini and yellow squash.
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Sauté vegetables for a few minutes till starting to soften.
7. Add tomatoes and water to pot, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of your spoon.
8. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes till all vegetables are tender
9. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil.
Can be served hot or at room temperature with a nice loaf of crusty bread for dipping. This keeps well in the fridge for a few days and is even better the second day!