1 medium size butternut squash peeled and diced into small cubes
1 red onion sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic smashed
1 lb orecchiette pasta
1/2 cup diced pancetta, speck or bacon
5 or 6 fresh sage leaves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese for serving
1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Toss squash in half of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on sheet pan and roast in oven for 20 minutes or so till tender and edges are browning.
3. While squash is roasting bring a pot of water to boil for pasta. Drop in pasta till done, about 12 minutes. Reserve about 1/4 cup of pasta water for sauce.
4. In a large skillet over medium high heat sauté pancetta till crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. In same pan slowly sauté the red onion in olive oil till caramelized.
6. Add squash, pancetta and pasta and reserved water to pan with onions.
7. Add nutmeg, sage, season with salt and pepper and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.