TX man sentenced in threat against Murfreesboro mosque
Javier Correa (Courtesy: Nueces County, TX, Sheriff's Office)
MURFREESBORO, TN (WSMV) -
The man who threatened to bomb the new mosque in Murfreesboro won't spend any time in jail.
Javier Correa pleaded guilty Monday in federal court and was sentenced to five years probation.
He will have to spend part of that sentence under house arrest and cannot contact the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro.
Correa told the court he had been drinking when he saw the mosque on the news back in 2011.
According to our news partners at The Daily News Journal, Correa said he felt awful after calling in the threat and knew it was wrong.
Correa is accused of using his cell phone to call in a bomb threat to the current Islamic Center six days before the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attack.
"(He) left a profanity-laced threat that evoked a lot of foul language, a classic hate speech," said United States Attorney Jerry Martin. "In that message, he said quote, 'On Sept. 11, 2011, there is going to be a bomb in the building.'"
The new mosque has been the subject of various court rulings over the past year concerning whether or not adequate public notice was given in 2010 regarding a commission meeting that authorized construction.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
TX man sentenced in threat against Murfreesboro mosqueMore>>