A fish fry turned deadly when a home caught fire Tuesday evening in Robertson County.
The fire occurred at a home in the 6000 block of Buzzard Creek Road near Fizer Road, north of Cedar Hill.
Investigators said the victim, a 74-year-old man, invited some friends over for dinner. They were frying fish around 7:30 p.m. when it set off a grease fire.
"It was a pretty intense fire - a lot of heat, a lot of fire," said Russell Gupton, assistant chief of Robertson County EMS.
Flames spread quickly through the home, punching a hole in the roof and through the windows.
"In this case, smoke detectors wouldn't have - it didn't have anything to do with smoke detectors," Gupton said.
Witnesses said the homeowner tried to put it out himself - something experts said you should never do - but may have been overcome by the smoke.
"It's dangerous to even trained professionals. A structure fire is one of the most dangerous things that any fireman could go into. It's an unknown situation. It's extreme temperatures. It's very dangerous. You've got potential for ceiling collapse, roof collapse. Any number of things could happen," Gupton said.
There were three people inside the home including the man's wife. Everyone escaped the house except the 74-year-old man.
"When you have a fire, get out as soon as you can," Gupton said. "Don't try to save your property or anything like that. Get out and get everyone to safety."
It's a lesson that, unfortunately, came too late for this family.
Second house fire
A house fire occurred in the 1700 block of South Walker Road in Pleasant View, TN, around 5 a.m.
The vacant home was fully involved, according to Smokey Barn News.
The house was for sale. It's unclear how the fire started.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
74-year-old man killed in Robertson Co. fireMore>>