Increased tremors once again halt work near sinkhole - WSMV News 4

Increased tremors once again halt work near sinkhole

Posted: Updated:
(Source: Assumption Parish OEP) (Source: Assumption Parish OEP)
BAYOU CORNE, LA (WAFB) -

Work near the giant sinkhole in south Louisiana was stopped Sunday due to increased tremors.

Officials reported the underground activity began increasing last Wednesday. Assumption Parish officials said the tremors are not strong enough to indicate further collapse.

The sinkhole grew by three acres last month, bringing its total size to about 15 acres.

This weekend marked the ninth month since hundreds living nearby were forced from their homes.

Bubbles were spotted in Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou in June 2012. Two months later, the ground opened up and left a nine-acre sinkhole. Residents were evacuated and have been for the past seven months. Most affected residents began receiving weekly checks from Texas-Brine in the amount of $875 per week.

On March 13, Texas-Brine, the Houston based company that owns the salt dome that caused the sinkhole, announced it would begin assessing the homes and offering buyouts and settlements for the 350 people evacuated.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Increased tremors once again halt work near sinkholeMore>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mayor's proposed $5.2B transit plan includes light rail, downtown tunnel

    Mayor's proposed $5.2B transit plan includes light rail, downtown tunnel

    Tuesday, October 17 2017 11:23 PM EDT2017-10-18 03:23:59 GMT
    Mayor Megan Barry and city officials announced the transit plan on Tuesday morning. (WSMV)Mayor Megan Barry and city officials announced the transit plan on Tuesday morning. (WSMV)

    Nashville Mayor Megan Barry and other city leaders unveiled Music City's long-awaited mass transit plan on Tuesday.

    More >>

    Nashville Mayor Megan Barry and other city leaders unveiled Music City's long-awaited mass transit plan on Tuesday.

    More >>
  • Police: Man admits to drowning 6-year-old boy, putting body in trash bin

    Police: Man admits to drowning 6-year-old boy, putting body in trash bin

    Wednesday, October 18 2017 8:58 AM EDT2017-10-18 12:58:48 GMT
    Authorities searched for Dayvid Pakko, 6, for hours after the boy went missing on Monday. (Snohomish County Sheriff's Office)Authorities searched for Dayvid Pakko, 6, for hours after the boy went missing on Monday. (Snohomish County Sheriff's Office)

    A 19-year-old man is accused of drowning a 6-year-old Lynnwood boy he was watching and dumping his body into a trash bin. 

    More >>

    A 19-year-old man is accused of drowning a 6-year-old Lynnwood boy he was watching and dumping his body into a trash bin. 

    More >>
  • Police: Woman who feared deportation drowned 2 boys

    Police: Woman who feared deportation drowned 2 boys

    Tuesday, October 17 2017 7:08 PM EDT2017-10-17 23:08:38 GMT
    (Wilmington Police Department via AP) This undated photo provided by the Wilmington Police Department shows Kula Pelima. Police in Delaware's largest city have charged Pelima with drowning her infant son and the baby's 5-year-old half brother.(Wilmington Police Department via AP) This undated photo provided by the Wilmington Police Department shows Kula Pelima. Police in Delaware's largest city have charged Pelima with drowning her infant son and the baby's 5-year-old half brother.
    (AP) -- A woman drowned her infant son and his 5-year-old half brother in a bathtub hours after she called police and told them she was worried about being deported, a Delaware police chief said Tuesday. Kula Pelima, a native of Liberia who has lived in the U.S. for two decades, called 911 about 3:45 a.m. Monday, fearing that her visa had lapsed, Wilmington Police Chief Robert Tracy said at a news conference. It's not clear why Pelima was worried. Immigration and Customs Enforcement...More >>
    (AP) -- A woman drowned her infant son and his 5-year-old half brother in a bathtub hours after she called police and told them she was worried about being deported, a Delaware police chief said Tuesday. Kula Pelima, a native of Liberia who has lived in the U.S. for two decades, called 911 about 3:45 a.m. Monday, fearing that her visa had lapsed, Wilmington Police Chief Robert Tracy said at a news conference. It's not clear why Pelima was worried. Immigration and Customs Enforcement...More >>
Powered by Frankly
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.